What We Do and How We Help
Great Plains Literacy Council provides basic adult literacy services in Jackson and Harmon Counties. Services are free.
Virtual: Understanding Alzheimer's and Dementia Series
The Alzheimer's Association is inviting you to a virtual presentation. You will have the option to join by phone or video conferencing. Pre-registration is required to get login/dial-in details. Please register online or call our 24/7 Helpline at 800-272-3900.
- May 13, 2021 - Alzheimer's disease is not a normal part of aging. Join us to learn about the impact of Alzheimer's; the difference between Alzheimer's and dementia; stages and risk factors; current research and treatments available for some symptoms; and Alzheimer's Association resources. Registration link.
- May 20, 2021 - Effective Communications Strategies - Canceled
Explore ways that Alzheimer’s and other dementias affect an individual’s ability to communicate across different stages, and get tips to better communicate with people living with the disease. Registration link
- May 27, 2021 - Dementia Conversations
If you know someone who is experiencing changes in memory, thinking and behavior, this education program provides tips and strategies for difficult —
but important — conversations about changes that may be related to dementia. Registration link
- June 3, 2021 - Understanding and Responding to Dementia-Related Behaviors Review caregiver tips and strategies to respond to some common behaviors exhibited by individuals living with dementia, such as agitation, confusion and more. Registration link
- June 10, 2021 - Legal and Financial Issues
This program will cover information for families and individuals dealing with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia. Topics covered will include: Making legal plans that fit your needs; Legal documents you’ll need and what they mean for all of you; How to find legal and financial assistance; Practical strategies for making a long-term plan of care; Tax deductions and credits; and Government programs that can help pay for care. Registration link.
- June 17, 2021- Health Living for Your Brain and Body Join us to learn about research in the areas of diet and nutrition, exercise, cognitive activity and social engagement, and use hands-on tools to help you incorporate these recommendations into a plan for healthy aging. Registration link.
Literacy News & Events
Portal Mini Face Time Project. This project is a part of the Healthy Living – Healthy Lifestyles partnership with the GPLC and S.W.R.E. It is funded in part by a grant from the Southwest Rural Electric Operation Round Up program that receives monthly contributions from its members used to support…
The Hollis Public Library has updated the Citizenship Corner with new technology that is to be utilized by individuals studying for the citizenship test or applying for residency in the U.S. The USCIS website has study materials, practice tests, and the capability to print the citizenship and residency applications free…
The Great Plains Literacy Council is now accepting applicaton for the Literacy Program Coordinator. Job Summary: Directs and administers an active volunteer literacy program including: recruiting tutors and learners, conducting training workshops, providing on-going tutor/learner support, program promotion, grant writing and supervision. This is a 20 hour per week position…
Weekly Themes and Crafts June 9thJune 16thJune 23rdJuly 7thJuly 14thJuly 21st “A Hero’s Journey” – Knight Shield“A New Twist on an Old Tale” – Origami Rabbit“Common Threads” – Magic Wand“Magical Creatures” – Unicorn Slime“Once Upon a Time” – Wizard Hats“Timeless Tales” – DIY Crown