What We Do and How We Help
Great Plains Literacy Council provides basic adult literacy services in Jackson and Harmon Counties. Services are free.
Virtual: Understanding Alzheimer's and Dementia Series
The Alzheimer's Association is inviting you to a virtual presentation. You will have the option to join by phone or video conferencing. Pre-registration is required to get login/dial-in details. Please register online or call our 24/7 Helpline at 800-272-3900.
- May 13, 2021 - Alzheimer's disease is not a normal part of aging. Join us to learn about the impact of Alzheimer's; the difference between Alzheimer's and dementia; stages and risk factors; current research and treatments available for some symptoms; and Alzheimer's Association resources. Registration link.
- May 20, 2021 - Effective Communications Strategies - Canceled
Explore ways that Alzheimer’s and other dementias affect an individual’s ability to communicate across different stages, and get tips to better communicate with people living with the disease. Registration link
- May 27, 2021 - Dementia Conversations
If you know someone who is experiencing changes in memory, thinking and behavior, this education program provides tips and strategies for difficult —
but important — conversations about changes that may be related to dementia. Registration link
- June 3, 2021 - Understanding and Responding to Dementia-Related Behaviors Review caregiver tips and strategies to respond to some common behaviors exhibited by individuals living with dementia, such as agitation, confusion and more. Registration link
- June 10, 2021 - Legal and Financial Issues
This program will cover information for families and individuals dealing with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia. Topics covered will include: Making legal plans that fit your needs; Legal documents you’ll need and what they mean for all of you; How to find legal and financial assistance; Practical strategies for making a long-term plan of care; Tax deductions and credits; and Government programs that can help pay for care. Registration link.
- June 17, 2021- Health Living for Your Brain and Body Join us to learn about research in the areas of diet and nutrition, exercise, cognitive activity and social engagement, and use hands-on tools to help you incorporate these recommendations into a plan for healthy aging. Registration link.
Literacy News & Events
January 13th – The books for today are The Snowy Day and Froggy Gets Dressed. Then a sing along with the song “Put your mittens on” followed by decorating your craft mittensJanuary 20th – Senora Rivera will be doing a Bilingual Story time with Ms. Bailee. They will be reading…
All programs are listed on the Event Calendar at the library’s webpage. Programing is virtual. Look us up on Facebook Page and like our page today!
Founded in 1938, the National Button Society recognized button collecting as an organized hobby. Both novice and advanced button collectors celebrate the enjoyment of collecting on this day.
The Altus and Hollis Public Libraries of the Southern Prairie Library System will be closed on November 11, 2020 to honor or military active and retired. Without them we would not have the freedoms we take for granite every day. Here’s a link to the History of Veteran’s Day.