What We Do and How We Help
Great Plains Literacy Council provides basic adult literacy services in Jackson and Harmon Counties. Services are free.
Virtual: Understanding Alzheimer's and Dementia Series
The Alzheimer's Association is inviting you to a virtual presentation. You will have the option to join by phone or video conferencing. Pre-registration is required to get login/dial-in details. Please register online or call our 24/7 Helpline at 800-272-3900.
- May 13, 2021 - Alzheimer's disease is not a normal part of aging. Join us to learn about the impact of Alzheimer's; the difference between Alzheimer's and dementia; stages and risk factors; current research and treatments available for some symptoms; and Alzheimer's Association resources. Registration link.
- May 20, 2021 - Effective Communications Strategies
Explore ways that Alzheimer’s and other dementias affect an individual’s ability to communicate across different stages, and get tips to better communicate with people living with the disease. Registration link
- May 27, 2021 - Dementia Conversations
If you know someone who is experiencing changes in memory, thinking and behavior, this education program provides tips and strategies for difficult —
but important — conversations about changes that may be related to dementia. Registration link
- June 3, 2021 - Understanding and Responding to Dementia-Related Behaviors Review caregiver tips and strategies to respond to some common behaviors exhibited by individuals living with dementia, such as agitation, confusion and more. Registration link
- June 10, 2021 - Legal and Financial Issues
This program will cover information for families and individuals dealing with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia. Topics covered will include: Making legal plans that fit your needs; Legal documents you’ll need and what they mean for all of you; How to find legal and financial assistance; Practical strategies for making a long-term plan
of care; Tax deductions and credits; and Government programs that can help pay for care. Registration link.
- June 17, 2021- Health Living for Your Brain and Body Join us to learn about research in the areas of diet and nutrition, exercise, cognitive activity and social engagement, and use hands-on tools to help you incorporate these recommendations into a plan for healthy aging. Registration link.
Literacy News & Events
March 17, 2021 is the day we can all be Irish and enjoy many festivities. Immigrants from Ireland brought us this day of celebration. Many places serve traditional Irish foods such as cornbeef and cabbage. The most common symbol for this day is the 3 leaf shamrock. Why only 3…
Did you Know? If your household income was less than $72,000 last year, you can file online for free thanks to the IRS VITA/TCE program. The Oklahoma Department of Libraries offers access to state and federal tax forms and free e-file service for both state and federal filings. Due to…
Shortgrass Arts Institutes invites you to their first class since COVID-19.Join us on March 15th – 18th for Painting with Acrylics. Be sure to register as seating is limited.All COVID-19 Precautions will be observed.Use Social Distancing and masks will be worn during the class.
Do you know what Dr. Seuss’s real name is? It is Theodor Seuss Geisel. Here’s a link to a museum honoring Dr. Seuss in his hometown of Springfield, Massachutes. His birthday is a nationwide event to encourage reading. Let’s travel to Suessville for fun games, shows and many more activities…